What began with a smokejumper and a portable sawmill in 1979 has evolved into one of the largest and most diverse wildfire suppression and forest restoration companies in the United States.
History of Grayback
- 1979 - Started in Cave Junction, Oregon, originally as a portable saw mill
- 1982 - Obtained first cone picking and forestry contracts
- 1983 - Awarded fuels contracts under timber sales for Rough and Ready and BLM/ Forest Service
- 1985 - Began to specialize in prescribed burning operations
- 1986 - Opened offices in Montana, Merlin and La Grande, Oregon
- 1993 - Opened office in John Day, Oregon and expanded operation to include Aviation, Shower, and Excavation/Road Building Divisions
- 2002 - Mainly completing Fuels Management work that entails thinning, piling, and prescribed burning. Grayback is also contracted to perform Wildland Fire Suppression, Emergency Services, and special equipment and facility needs, such as ADA shower units and Skidgines. Opened base in Medford, Oregon.
- 2007 - Relocated Medford, Oregon base to newly built location in White City, Oregon.
- 2011 - Started a commercial thinning operation to compliment our Fuels work
To be a good steward of our nation’s forests and to protect life and property from the risk of wildfire and other disasters through prevention, protection and risk management.
We strive to be leaders and innovators in forest restoration, wildfire suppression and disaster response. We aspire to the highest levels of professionalism and provide quality service at a fair price and without compromise toward safety or excellence.
Our goal is to provide long-term employment and family wage jobs to our employees, in an environment that promotes integrity and honesty.
“A good name is better than great riches: To be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” Proverbs 22:1
To be united in the higher calling of people helping people by building a team that is willing to serve, rather than be served.
“Let each esteem others better than himself.” Phil 2:3